2011 Young Generation Forum (YGF 2011)
July 4, 2011 (Mon) - July 9, 2011 (Sat)
Location: TBD in the Republic of Korea
Click Here to Download the 2011 YGF Application Form!
- Why YGF 2011?
Each year since 2002, the Korean Federation of Science and Technology Societies (KOFST) and the Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association (KSEA) have been hosting the Young Generation Forum (YGF) by bringing young Korean Heritage scientists and engineers from all over the world to Korea. The goal is to share the Korean vision of science and technology around the world.
The YGF 2011 will bring 90 young generation Korean-heritage students/professionals from all over the world, including U.S., Canada, Germany, Japan, etc. as well as 40 young generation Koreans. All 1.5 and 2nd generations, who major in Science, Technology and Engineering, are encouraged to apply for this special event in Korea. This is a rare opportunity to meet young generation scientists and technology leaders from all over the world as well as share research ideas and experience Korean culture together. Additionally, the invited YG members will be fully reimbursed for their airfare, lodging, and meals while attending the forum.
The primary goals of the KOFST 2011 Young Generation Forum are to:
(1) To contribute to the advancement of contemporary science and technology,
(2) To understand the current scientific and technological developments in Korea,
(3) To establish cooperative networking that will encourage future collaboration with foreign counterparts.
The program is a one-of-a-kind experience. A past participant writes:
“The Young Generation Forum continues to bring students and young professionals in science and engineering together from all over the world. Through networking with peers and older generations as role models, we learn how to maintain our Korean roots while succeeding as scientists and engineers in the foreign societies in which we live. The forum is an opportunity to experience not only the rich scientific opportunities in Korea, but also the cultural depth that benefits many of us as 1.5 and 2nd generations.”
- Program Content:
1) Overseas participants (90, 30 from the USA) + domestic participants (40)
2) Day 1 (16:00 -19:30)
3) Day 2 (10:00 - 20:00)
Opening Ceremony 2011 KOFST Annual Conference/ Keynote Lecture/
Presentation of Country Representatives / Banquet
4) Day 3 (9:00 - 20:00)
Group Discussion / Special Lecture, Q&A and Discussion / CEO&CTO Forum and Dinner
5) Day 4 (9:00 -18:00)
Visiting Gyeongju Cultural Places, staying at Hotel Gyeongju Chosun
6) Day 5 (9:00 -18:00)
Visit Ulsan and Pohang Industrial areas and staying at Hotel Gyeongju Chosun
7) Day 6 (7:30 -18:00)
YGF Evaluation, visit Gyeongju Museum, then return to Seoul
- Who is qualified to attend this 2011 YGF?
1) USA citizens or residents (proof of citizenship or residency required)
2) 1.5 or 2.0 generation
3) Born after 1977.
4) Science, Engineering, or Technology related majors
5) Undergraduate juniors to post-doc. No professionals.
6) Must have no problems with English communication.
- Who is NOT qualified to attend this YGF 2011?
1) F-1 students
2) Students who already attended 2002-2010 YGF
3) A student who is not a junior, senior, master, Ph.D., or post-doc.
- What are the benefits?
1) All expenses for this event are supported if you are accepted.
2) Airfare for economy class is supported by the maximum amount - East: $1,400, Middle: $1,300, and West: $1,100. (All receipts MUST be submitted).
- Application Period: February 6, 2011 -March 13, 2011, 5:00 PM (EST, 5 weeks)
- Application Documents:
1) PDF or Word version of the application form with a personal statement
2) PDF or Word version of your resume must include your:
- KSEA student or regular member ID and local chapter name.
- Relationships/contributions with local chapters if you have any.
- Birth date that shows you were born in 1977 or after.
- High school education diploma that shows you are 1.5 or 2nd generation.
3) PDF/Word version of the following that proves
You are a USA citizen or resident (a copy of USA passport or green card)
but, please block the social security number when you scan the passport or green card.
4) A PDF/Word version of your official or unofficial school transcript must show that:
- You are a student majoring in Science, Engineering, or Technology related area.
- You are currently a junior, senior, master, or PhD student.
- If you are a post-doc student, you must show your current contract of your position.
- Submit applications:
- For further questions, visit http://www.ksea.org or email YGF Committee at